Sunday 3 November 2013

Stumped

About to throw out the Halloween pumpkin? Well, hold on a minute. Before you do, take a look at the stem. Does it, perhaps, look like a stump? A 28mm stump? 

Last year, I saved all of the stems from my Halloween pumpkins (and was given  a couple more). I dried them out by leaving them on top of the radiator for a couple of weeks, and then I promptly forgot about them for most of a year. Then, a few weeks ago, when large numbers of pumpkins started to appear in the stores again, I remembered them. So, I pulled out those old stems, mounted them on bases, used plaster to fill in any gaps between stem and base, then painted them up.

Here are the results. A quartet of pretty convincing looking stumps. At least in my opinion.

3 comments:

  1. Hi
    Do you do anything to preserve them - like drying them out first?
    Cheers
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. A year on top of a radiator should dry them out nicely. Great job wished you'd posted this earlier lol mine have been disposed of for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the idea. I ripped off some pumpkin stems and stuck them near the dehumidifier.

    ReplyDelete