Wednesday 11 September 2019

Catching Up on Star Wars

I received an email recently stating that my Star Wars geek-accreditation was due to expire. As I deem this important to both my professional and social life, I figured I had better brush up and get recertified. I mean, I can tell my Trandoshans from Zabraks, but what’s this about Darth Maul surviving The Phantom Menace?

So, I


This is the only one of the feature films that I hadn’t seen, and, in truth, I hadn’t heard any glowing reviews. Still, I went in with an open mind. I enjoyed it, but I doubt I’ll remember much about it in a few weeks. It just seemed to lack a bit of heart. In truth, while I’ve enjoyed some of the Disney movies, and parts of others, their main accomplishment has been to demonstrate how rare and difficult to duplicate the original trilogy was.


This was, I think, the first Star Wars novel released under Disney. It was a fun read, a fast-paced adventure novel. I like that it didn’t feature any of the movie characters in a major role. Although it is the first book in a trilogy, it pretty much stands alone. I will likely read the others at some point, when I feel I need a Star Wars fix, though I’m not rushing out to get them.
            I do love the way that Disney restarted the Star Wars universe. They apparently said everything in the films was canon, everything outside of them was not. Then, they stated that everything in their new books, comics, cartoons, etc. was canon and have then slipped some of the old stuff back into the new universe (such as Grand Admiral Thrawn).


This four-series cartoon has gotten a lot of good press. I watched the first season and really enjoyed it. It’s a kid’s show, but that can be enjoyed by adults. Although it’s broken into 25 minute episodes, its 15 episode seasons means it can spend more time on character development. In truth, I think it has more of the feel of the original trilogy than any Star Wars media I have seen since. I will definitely be watching the rest of the series, which I hear gets even better.

Bought and painted some Star Wars: Legion figures.

I was a bit miffed when Star Wars: Legion came out. The figures are something like 35mm, which means they are incompatible with all of my other figures, including the Star Wars: Imperial Assault figures I’ve collected. Since I wasn’t particularly interested in the game either, I ignore them.
            Then I saw some of the new Rebel Pathfinders in the shop and decided to give them a go. They are extremely nice figures. Although they are cast in a somewhat bendy plastic, the detail is very sharp - as good as most metals. Although they need super-glue to assemble, they fit together perfectly.

4 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about Legion, but I eventually bought into the game (on sale). I haven't set my I.A. figures side-by-side with my Legion figures, but my mood has to changed to, "oh, what the heck. Even if they are a little off in scale, it's okay; probably wouldn't notice so much during a game." By coincidence, the first figure I painted was that Pathfinder Leader! I'm looking forward to finishing up that squad and working on the rest of my rebels until I can field a decent Jeddha/Scarif force. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to the next Star Wars movie if only to see if they course correct, or just go with it, and follow up on The Last Jedi's approach. I enjoyed the Last Jedi, Rebel One and Solo, so I am probably a bad Star Wars fan.

    I'll check out the Rebels' series. I think that the DC Animated series do the best job of capturing the feel of the comics I love; so, maybe, the Star Wars animated series will fit me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, paint job, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebels is how my kids came to Star Wars, and also had some very good episodes. (And some that are just fun like Idiot's array from season one which we have seen dozens of times). FFG makes a bunch of figures for Imperial Assault from the show.

    Of the other new SW media post take over, the comics are surprisingly good, particularly the Darth Vader ones. (and better FFG makes figures of Dr. Aphra and company)

    ReplyDelete