Friday 1 November 2019

Rolling Dice


My summer of writing magazine articles continues to pay dividends in this month’s Wargames: Soldiers & Strategy, Issue 105.

In this issue, I’ve got an article about 'Dice-Rolling Etiquette'. I admit, at first glance, it sounds like a pretty light topic, but actually, rolling dice is one of the most common elements of playing a wargame, and almost nothing is ever said about it. Over years of gaming, I have encountered many different dice-rolling approaches or styles that have significantly hindered my fun, or the fun of other players. Often, this isn’t intentional, but since the goal of the game is for everyone to have fun, I though it deserved a little consideration.

Otherwise it is a pretty varied issue, with a lot of stuff for the historical player, including articles on WWII, Ancient Rome, and a focus on Spain in the Napoleonic Wars.

It’s a classy mag!

1 comment:

  1. I read your column, and it made sense ;-)

    One of the things I have invested in is having different types of dice (D4, D6, D8, ...) each in their own colour. All me D8s are yellow, all my D6s are black etc. It makes for a nice visual look (instead of having a rag tag collection of dice on the table), and it helps for those who still can't distinguish between a D10 and a D12.

    ReplyDelete