Monday 5 June 2023

Wild Swimming

 

Last week was 'half-term' here in the UK, which means, no school! Our family headed north to the Lake District, to the town of Keswick. My wife and her family are big 'fell walkers'. I don't mind a good hike, though I'm not really a fan of all-day climbs or perilous ledges. As it turned out, after the first day in which we climbed Latrigg (a starter mountain), I took a tumble down the stairs of our holiday house and hurt my foot. This pretty much put an end to any rougher walks for me. Still, I tried to make the most of it and discovered a new way to enjoy the lakes - wild swimming! Over the next few days, I took a swim in Derwent Water and a couple in Buttermere, both of them gorgeous lakes surrounded by awe-inspiring scenery.

I'll admit it - those mountain lake are cold! But, having done a bit of swimming in the English Channel over the last couple of years... well, I'm not 'getting used to it', but I'm at least building up my courage to get in such chilly waters. In fact, the whole family got involved - especially my daughter, who is the most enthusiastic swimmer of the lot of us. 

Yes, I am wearing a baseball cap in the photo. This is not a fashion statement - it's just really not fun getting sunburn on the top of your head!

I had to leave the holiday a couple of days early in order to go to Birmingham for UK Games Expo, but I left feeling that I had discovered something new and important!

5 comments:

  1. I have swum in Windermere a few times in the Lake District. We'll done for adding Buttermere to your list, a lovely lake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Chilly, even.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice a secret we try to keep to ourselves 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! I though we were going to have a `Doc Hollywood' moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My middle daughter is a keen sea swimmer and has also been in Windermere. She gains much pleasure from the activity as well as it being really good for body and mind.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete