Thursday 14 March 2024

Halfling Rogue or Rogue Halfling?

Lately, on Friday afternoon, when I close my laptop on the work week, I pick out a single figure and think - this is the figure I'm going to paint this weekend. Over the next 2.5 days, I focus my painting intently on that figure, only switching to another while I wait for a wash to dry. This is how I used to always paint miniatures, and for me, I think it is the best way. I find no joy in batch painting. If I'm honest, I never did. I want to fully enjoy every figure I paint. I want to give my brain the chance to work on stories about them, think about rules for including them in games, figure out what magic items or special equipment they might be carrying. That is fun to me.

I've actually painted this figure before. Well, I've painted a metal version of it - this is a plastic Bones USA version. I bought it for a specific project, but it became surplus to requirements, so instead, this halfling will join my generic fantasy figures. 

Looking at the photo, I can see I didn't get his eyes quite right, but you know, I can't even really see them on the miniature, even with my reading glasses on, so I'm not going to worry about it. The rest of the model came out great. 

I'm not sure if I'll get to paint any minis this weekend. It's looking pretty busy - but part of that is seeing The Return of the King at the Royal Albert Hall - so that's alright! 

2 comments:

  1. It sounds a wonderful event. The music for these films is my favourite music though I love a vast range, to me this is the best. Enjoy.
    It must be nearly fifty years since I painted a hobbit but I have read the first book [of six] again this week.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a smashing looking mini.

    ReplyDelete