Monday 3 August 2020

Revenge and Friends!














I am slowly continuing work on my Silent Death project. These are three metal minis that I acquired late last year. The blue fighter is a Revenge, the scariest torpedo fighter in the game. I love its classic, ‘space fighter’ lines.

(Later on, the name for this figure would be changed to Samurai, which is how you’ll find it for sale now).

It’s being pursued by a pair of Eppings, representing the red team. I painted up a couple of Eppings for the blue team not too long ago.

I’ve got to say, when painting these little fighters, it’s the decals that make all the difference. I’ve only gotten into decals in the last few years, but they are a paint-job multiplier on these fighters.

Always save your decals! These are a mixture of Battletech, Games Workshop, and a few that I think come from Robotech models.

Thinking about Silent Death, I’ve decided my goal for the project will be to focus on the first edition of the game. This consisted of the main rule box, two expansion books, and one expansion box. I have all of the rules for these, so it’s just a matter of getting the fighters.

The rules changes between the first and second editions were extremely minimal, and personally, I think most of the expansions for the second edition tend to detract from the game as much as add to it. I’m going to use some of the fighter redesigns from the second edition, but stick to first edition rules. At least for now.  I think it is good to have an achievable goal with such projects.

3 comments:

  1. Those are some neat looking space fighters. I especially like the Epping design as it reminds me of the Hind helicopter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seconding the decals advice! I've been getting a lot of use out of old 40k decals on shields for Frostgrave and Rangers of Shadow Deep mercenaries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seconding the decals advice! I've been getting a lot of use out of old 40k decals on shields for Frostgrave and Rangers of Shadow Deep mercenaries.

    ReplyDelete