Thursday 27 June 2013

Chain Snap

Even though I cycle back and forth to softball games, I’ve actually been doing less cycling over the summer.  I quickly discovered that a 13-mile round trip to work, combined with a 6-mile round trip to the field, plus a game of softball, is a bit more than my body can handle most of the time. It’s also hard to ride to work the day after a game as I’m often tired and a bit bruised.

That said, yesterday morning I was feeling good, and the weather was nice and cool. I had been planning to take the bus, but I hoped on my bike instead. I even took a different route to work, cycling along the Thames path for much of the way. It’s a longer, but undoubtedly, nicer trip (at least in the morning when then riverside is mostly empty).

On the way home, I decided to take my normal route. I made it about a third of the way, when I heard an ominous ‘chunk’ followed by scrapping. I freewheeled on the pedals for a second, then glanced back and saw my chain dragging behind me…

Well, it was a long walk home. Thankfully there are a few long down hills on the route so I was able to glide down them. Still it added a good 30-45 minutes to the trip.

Looks like I get to ride my wife’s bike to softball tonight.  My poor Ridgeback Meteor is going in the shop on Monday. I’ve just got to figure out how to get it there.

Total Bike Miles: 8,438

No comments:

Post a Comment