Wednesday 19 June 2013

The Devils’ Revenge (Knights vs. Devils)

Due to a quirk in the schedule, brought about by rainouts, the Knights took the field again this Tuesday against the Devils, who we had last played on Thursday. That was a close fought game, and this one was as well. Unfortunately, this time, the Devils got the better of us, beating us by a single run.

I continued my work as the team’s utility fielder. I spent the first four innings at third base, where I made some good plays, and some not so good plays. I then moved over to right field for the last three innings where absolutely nothing happened.

I had a mixed night at the plate, going 2 for 5 with an RBI and 2 Runs scored. In the great irony of the game, my three outs were on much harder hit balls than my two hits. I opened the game with a dribbler that rolled all the way down the third base line before hitting the bag and giving me a single. On my next at bat, I hit a screamer right at the short stop. I picked up my RBI in my third at bat, when I hit a soft looper over the middle infield.

I got my best swings of the night during my last two at bats but got nothing to show for them. Taking some advice from a teammate, I backed up in the batters box and found the pitches falling right onto the sweet spot. In my fourth at bat, I blasted a shot into right field, only to have the ball snagged by the woman in right field on a nice running catch. My final at-bat came with 2 out in the last inning, and the tying run on first base. Again I rocketed a ball into right field, and this time the woman stationed out there made an even better running catch to end the game.

I hit good balls, she made good catches. It’s how the game was meant to be played. We lost, but it was an enjoyable way to spend an nice summers evening.

Career Hits: 94

No comments:

Post a Comment