Thursday 1 October 2020

Swan Knights of Dol Amroth!

 

I’ve been feeling the Middle-earth excitement again, lately. I’ve been re-reading The Return of the King, and I’m expecting my new, illustrated edition of The Unfinished Tales to arrive today!

Fuelled by that excitement, I thought it was time to expand my Gondor army. So, I ordered up the Knights of Dol Amroth on foot from Forge World. It’s an expensive set, but it’s also a very nice one. The kit includes six knights, and while all of the poses are fixed, it does come with options for 4 un-helmeted heads, a banner-bearer, a trumpeter, and the ability to mix the shield choice. Now, I didn’t take most of those options because I just wanted a straight unit of knights, but it’s good to know should I ever want to expand the unit.

Assembly was very easy. All of the connections and joins have been well designed and cast. The figures are a little smaller than their metal counterparts, but fit in well enough with the Gondor range. 

Really though, they are just gorgeous figures. I know a lot of people don’t like the idea of plate-mail armour in Middle-earth, but, when The Lord of the Rings was first read to me, this is very similar to how I envisioned the Knights of Dol Amroth – they are knights in shining armour!

Anyway, I was so pleased, I had to break out some forces of Mordor just to give them a nice action shot!



 


8 comments:

  1. As little time as he had in the trilogy Prince Imrahil was my favorite - and I can't read his description as anything other than plate mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having just read the book again, he actually gets more 'screen time' than I remembered. Anyway, we know he at least wore a vambrace!

      Delete
  2. I am entirely of your way of thinking..my 11 year old brain saw knights!! And I have seen them ever since

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice models. Good paint on them as well. I like the stark black contrast between the blue and other parts. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are lovely miniatures and are very nicely painted. My eye was also drawn to your orcs and troll miniatures. They fit well together and look like they might be quite the handful if met on a dark and misty moor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm going to have to go and dig out my Dol Amroth and Rohan forces and see what I need to do to flesh them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work but they need some support ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's good they make them smaller than the metal ones, the were quite big in comparison to the rest of the range. You did a good job on them. I like the GW LoTR figures and the alternative ones. It's fun to find the ones that fit in the image you got in mind when you read the book.

    Autumn is a season than make me go in Lord of the Rings mood, it usually last until almost winter is done.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete