When we picked out the Halloween pumpkins this year, I was delighted to see that they had longer stems that normal. (We got them from a farm instead of the supermarket). Even before the pumpkins were carved, I had plans for those stems.
After Halloween, I dried the stems out on the radiator for a couple of weeks; then I went to work.
Actually, it wasn’t that much work. I glued them to a base, painted a few different shades of brown and grey on them, then sprinkled with fake snow.
I think they are really effective. Much more ‘organic’ looking that most commercially available tree stumps.
For the scenarios in the Frostgrave Tour next year, I’m going to need a couple of trees. Well, here are mine!