Tuesday 27 June 2023

Pumpkin-headed Bugbear!


Long-time readers know that I've got a 'thing' for pumpkin-heads. I don't know where it comes from, or why it has endured, but I just love painting pumpkin-headed creatures. There is just something so weird about them - maybe the contrast between something as silly, harmless-looking, and inherently squishy as a pumpkin and a horrific, gonna-kill-you monster. I will say, that painting wise, it tends to give you a really nice contrast between the orange pumpkin and the rest of the figure.

Anyway, it was only a matter of time before I painted up this strange Reaper bones miniature, which it calls a pumpkin-headed bugbear. I don't know if this ties into anything specific or if it is the product of a Jason Wiebe sculpting session on Halloween after eating too much candy. Either way, I love it.

It was a pretty easy paint. The body is all various shades of brown, which contrasts nicely with the kermit-the-frog ruff of leaves and the pumpkin head. The head is just a mix of browns, oranges, and yellows, with heavy brown wash for the gooey mouth. 

A great little addition to the collection.

3 comments:

  1. I also love pumpkin headed monsters. I attribute my [very slight] obsession with the cover of a Fighting Fantasy gamebook I had in my youth ("Legend of the Shadow Warriors" by Mark Hand). The cover features "Haggworts" rising out of a bog, like murderous scarecrows.

    I should also mention I love the living scarecrows figures for Silver Bayonet. I bought that blisterpack way before I decided to try the game!

    ReplyDelete