Thursday 22 May 2014

Released Today!

Let us see...I’m a fan of J. R. R. Tolkien, English Dark Age history, Anglo-Saxon poetry, and dragonslayer legends...

I suppose the only real surprise is that I didn’t pre-order Tolkien’s translation of Beowulf, which is released in the UK today.

There are two reasons for this. I almost never pre-order anything and only do so if I think there is going to be a limited supply. There is no danger of that in this case. More importantly, I would rather support my local bookseller. Thankfully, Oxford has several good bookshops, and I would like to help ensure that they remain.

Plus, buying Tolkien’s Beowulf in a Oxford bookstore just seems right doesn’t it?

I’m not exactly sure when I’ll be able to make it into town to pick up a copy, but I suspect it won’t be long.

6 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten this was coming out, thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious about this... I was bought Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun as a birthday prezzie by my wife but returned it to the store, as 'unreadable'... I am not one for endless poetry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there is no getting around the fact that Beowulf is one long poem! That said, most of it is narrative and most of the story moves along pretty well. If you are interested in Sigurd, there are versions of the Volsunga Saga that are easier to read.

    Or - if you are interested in both stories, might I suggest Dragonslayers: From Beowulf to St. George by yours truly, which contains easy-to-read versions of both stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd certainly be interested in an easier read, as I am interested in the stories of the sagas, but find endless poetic prose, a pain to read, especially when it doesn't rhyme... if it doesn't rhyme, I fail to see the point of this writing style! If this book, is in narrative version, in the same writing style of say Silmarillion, then I can manage that...

      Delete
  4. I have Tolkien's translation of the Pearl which is a great translation and I'm sure this one will be too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure the new Beowulf is a prose translation, not verse. That said, he never intended it for publication so it might not be as smooth as his completed works. I'll let you know when I know!

    ReplyDelete