Tuesday 29 September 2015

Super Glue Disaster

My wife was out, my baby was asleep. So, being a Renaissance Troll, I had to decide which of my geeky endeavours to indulge in. A bit of writing? reading? Sci-fi TV? Maybe later. First I would head to my miniatures cupboard, and do a little repair work on a broken piece of terrain...

Seconds later, I managed to squirt super glue straight across the fingers of my left hand.

I didn't panic (well, maybe for a second). Thankfully, I managed to get my wedding ring off before it fully adhered to my hand and kept my fingers apart as I ran to the sink. As you can see from the picture, the ring is not in great shape at the moment. For that matter, neither is my hand. I spent the rest of the evening, trying to scrub the glue off my hand. White spirits, nail polish remover, salt. None of them really worked. Instead, I am slowly picking off little flakes whenever I can manage it. However, my fingers still scrape together as I type.

Unpleasant, but not really a disaster. At least the baby didn't wake up. Now, what to do about my ring...

6 comments:

  1. Ooppps I very nearly stuck my fingers together when glue rang through the base of a figure I was sticking I just got it and only lost one layer of skin ! I am more careful now !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised the nail polish remover didn't work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't ever try to wash superglue off with water. It bonds in the presence of moisture. Thats why you breath on it to get it to bond faster!

    There is no good way to get superglue off. A quick swab with a tissue to remove the excess and before it bonds the tissue to your hand then after its dry a nail brush for scrubbing... you are going to loose skin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stick your hand in the freezer over night. In the morning, the glue should just snap right off. Be careful not to break you fingers though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nail polish remover works a treat, just make sure it has acetone in it.

    I had to make a diy repair of the wife's glasses with green stuff and suer glue and the glue got all over the lens. Cleaned it squeaky clean! Didn't work too well on my fingers though - had to clean-dry, clean-dry, so on and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nail polish remover works a treat, just make sure it has acetone in it.

    I had to make a diy repair of the wife's glasses with green stuff and suer glue and the glue got all over the lens. Cleaned it squeaky clean! Didn't work too well on my fingers though - had to clean-dry, clean-dry, so on and so on.

    ReplyDelete