Thursday 19 October 2023

Bilbo Baggins, Esq.


Realizing that I didn't really know what 'Esquire' meant, I looked it up. Now that I've read the Wikipedia entry, I realize that no one else does either. Given that, it seems to me, if anyone should have Esq. after their name, it should be Bilbo Baggins, at least after he'd settled back into Hobbiton with enough money to be happily eccentric. (File under life goals). 

Waiting for the rest of my Fellowship hobbits to arrive, I decided to paint up this really nice Bilbo figure, that came in the same pack as Frodo, from Scotia Grendel. This figure is clearly based on an Angus McBride sketch, found in the Middle-Earth Role-Playing rulebook (any doubt being removed by the subtle decorations on his vest). Really though, it's just a nice little figure. He's got a great expression. He looks happy, but also ready to spring into action should a Sackville-Baggins come around the corner!

I must admit, at the moment, I'm finding these 'Old School' style figures much easier to paint, with their bigger, slightly out of proportion detail. Easier on the eyes and more friendly to washes to boot!

4 comments:

  1. Great figure and hobbit hole too. Who makes it?
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I can't remember who makes it, and I'm pretty sure they are out of business. I regret not getting the other one they had!

      Delete
  2. Great stuff - and I agree the old school figures can be a real pleasure to paint!

    ReplyDelete