Tuesday 10 October 2023

The Three Hunters (Redux)

Having returned to my Fellowship, I decided to tackle something that had been bothering me for awhile. When I originally made Legolas I had cut him off his integral base before gluing him to the plastic round base. If you've done this, you know how much of a pain it is, and how easy it is to take a foot off by mistake. So, when it came to Gimili, I got lazy and just put him on the plastic base with his integral base still attached. The upshot was that Gimili always looked a bit too tall. It wasn't a big deal, but it always bugged me.

So, since I am waiting for my new hobbits to arrive, I thought I'd go back and rectify that mistake. Using my hobby knife, I managed to cut Gimli free of the integral base. Then I filed his feet down to even his stance and glued him to a plastic base. Unfortunately, the process had damaged the paint job. While touching him up, I decided it was a good opportunity to brighten him up a little. I gave him some more red highlights on the armour, painted his axes a brighter silver, lightened his beard, and gave him silver beard-beads! It doesn't change the overall look of the figure much, but just gives it a little more pop.

I'm really pleased with how it all came out and think he is much more in proportion to his fellow hunters as well as to my new hobbits! 



2 comments:

  1. Looking good. Can't wait to see the whole Fellowship

    ReplyDelete