Thursday 14 December 2023

Space Hulk: Genestealer


For many years, I have been looking to complete my Space Hulk, 1st Edition collection. I bought the basic box, the first supplement, Deathwing, and the Campaign Book in my youth, and have carried them all over the world, but I never acquired the second, and rarer, supplement, Genestealer. (Which is essential to use most of the Campaign Book). I have kept a close eye on ebay, and while there are usually a couple of copies there, they go for around £300 - significantly more than I was willing to pay.

Recently, it occurred to me that what I really wanted wasn't the expansion per se, but just a lot of the components in it. I didn't particularly care about the miniatures, as I plan to use my own, and the box itself would just take up space that I don't have. Really, I just wanted all of the cardboard! Perhaps if I adjusted my parameters, I could find what I wanted.

It took several months of looking, but then a big lot of Space Hulk stuff came up on ebay. The seller wasn't sure what it contained, but from the photos I could tell that it included most of what I was looking for (plus a lot of other stuff!). So, I took a chance. I maxed out my budget, but I won the auction.

When the package arrived, I realized I had a slight problem - I wasn't exactly sure what was supposed to be in the Genestealer set. After a bit of searching online, I was  able to find a detailed breakdown. Sorting through all of the stuff, I discovered that I had all of the cardboard from the box except one blip token! Blip Token D was missing. Thankfully, the lot came with a bunch of extra blip tokens so I converted one by sticking a label on it! Also, the 'Psychic Suit Tracker' was a bit mangled, but I made a replacement by photocopying it and gluing the copy onto some heavy card.

So, there we go! My collection is complete! Hopefully this means more Space Hulk in my future.

Also, I now possess a lot of spare pieces from the basic game and Deathwing. While it is tempting to keep them for some 'mega-game', I know that will likely never happen and they just take up space. So, if you are missing any pieces from your set, drop me a line. Otherwise, they'll probably go back on ebay at some point!

8 comments:

  1. £300?! I'll have to see if I've got all the bits in my copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what they are priced at - I don't know if anyone is buying. I didn't.

      Delete
    2. Good point 👍

      Delete
  2. Congrats on getting your game together, such a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! 300 pounds, great as the game is, would be a solid no for me as well.

    I still have all of the set and have it in plastic tubs with lids to protect from water damage (just in case). Had it since they came out and will treasure it always. I didn’t care for the latest editions models.

    Could you post what you found for contents or at least a link. If not that’s cool.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember where I found it, but happy to email it to you.

      Delete
  4. Well, that's quite a nice little treasure. The effort really paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought mine back in the early 90s and still have it, I’m guessing it’d cost around £20 back then I bet!

    ReplyDelete