Wednesday 11 December 2019

Master Samwise Gamgee


Just a couple of months ago, I thought I had peaked as a miniature painter. I believed I was still painting miniatures to a  good standard, but my eye-sight is worsening, and I just didn’t seem to be approaching it with the same passion as in years passed. Then, I made some changes.

I started being more deliberate with my miniature purchases. I completely reviewed and revamped all of my painting tools and accessories, and, perhaps most importantly, I made a real effort to set-aside chunks of time where I could concentrate fully on my painting. I also started working on my technique a bit, being more willing to water-down my paints and paint that extra highlight layer…  Well, I now feel like I’m heading in an upwards direction again, and several of the last few miniatures I have painted I can confidently say are better than any that I have painted in years past.

For example, I have just finished painting Gus Greenweevil from Reaper Miniatures, sculpted by Bobby Jackson. Gus will be playing the part of Sam Gamgee in my Fellowship of the Ring.  I mean really – he’s a pudgy Hobbit, overloaded with stuff, including a frying paint, ‘rope’, and a dagger.  I kind of wish he wasn’t carrying a torch, but you can’t have it all.

In fact, it’s that torch – or more exactly the flame on top, which is the only part of the paint job I’m not completely satisfied with. The next time I paint fire, I’m going to have to research some new techniques. Still, it’s passable. I think the face is one of the best I’ve ever painted – helped by the broad, slightly cartoony features. Otherwise, it’s just lots of washes and layers.

For me, miniature painting is definitely about enjoying the figure I am working on to the maximum extent possible, more than the sense of accomplishment from getting loads of figures done.

13 comments:

  1. Nice work. What's the LOTR project, skirmish or rpg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither. Both. I just love LOTR, love painting figures for it. I'll figure out what to do with them later!

      Delete
  2. Thats a great paint job!

    You're torch is also perfect... it's just not finished, spend literally 2 more minutes on it - paint a fine black line at the top of all the flames that are red, and a fine white line in the deepest recesses which are yellow. Done. See image 2 on the link below for reference.

    http://miniaturesofthenorth.blogspot.com/2014/06/fallen-dwarves-characters-and-paint-jobs.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a fantastic paint job. It was got a real sort of "cell shaded" look to it; and has loads of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean like a cartoon; where the colours and shades are distinct from each other rather than smoothly blended. It is a style I really like.

      Delete
    2. Actually, looking at the photos again with my glasses on, it is probably more blended than I first thought :D It was probably the eyes that threw me.

      Delete
    3. Hard to tell with pictures sometimes.

      Delete
  4. What a 'cute' little guy, brilliant work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really great, are you using a magnifying glass?
    I'm getting older, too, and I have been using one for the past few years. It makes all the difference in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, just my normal reading glasses. I do have a stronger pair of glasses, I will very occasionally put on for a detail, though I didn't use them on this figure.

      Delete
  6. I bet the "torch" is from a fire Sam started on Weathertop before they began cooking and he swept it around to check for Nazgul ahead of time. A little too early perhaps...

    ReplyDelete