Friday 20 September 2019

A Chance Meeting




My last few ‘hobby sessions’ have been spent painting up a hobbit house. It’s a resin cast from ModelEarth, that set me back £27 plus shipping. Looking at their website, it appears they may have sent me a mismatched roof and body, but they fit together well enough, so I’m not complaining. Anyway, it’s a quality piece, and the service was very speedy, so I can highly recommend them.



It probably took me about 6 hours to paint from start to finish. For the most part, I wasn’t using any fancy techniques. I just wanted a decent paint-job to get it on the table. I did add some lichen-effect to the roof, mainly to break up the sold brick-colour, but also because I see the Shire as a rather wet place. All of that good growing must mean lots of rain, and if it is really based on Oxfordshire…well, I lived there 12 years and saw a lot of rain! Roofs there are often speckled with lichen.

I pulled out a couple of figures to get some scale shots and just loved the little scene I created enough that I lead off with it – even though it somewhat obscures the model I’m showing off! It is said, somewhere, that in his later years, Bilbo often went for long walks to the edges of the Shire and spoke with strange people. I wonder, if in that time, he happened to meet Aragorn once or twice?

Bilbo is a Games Workshop model. Aragorn is a ranger from Rangers of Shadow Deep that I also recently finished painting.



4 comments:

  1. Looks lovely! I will have to check out ModelEarth. I have to have that ranger and the rest of the range however ,I have spent my months hobby budget on some Perry Miniatures Azerbajian Swordsmen, they will be my Haradrim fanatics, the Khultists of Azoth. Next month...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice work Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work quaint would be the word

    ReplyDelete