Thursday 23 March 2023

A Strange Little Time Capsule

I've carried my first edition Space Hulk game with me for around thirty years, including across an ocean, but I've only rarely played it. Hoping to change that, I got it all out last night. Pictured above are all the things that were in the box that aren't part of the game.

First, you've got things that kind of make sense.  You've got two blast templates that were used in early editions of Warhammer 40K, and were probably used as extra or replacement flamer templates in the game. There is also a set of sustained fire dice and a scatter die, again all needed for early 40k. There are also a few model bits that belong to the same game: an original plastic Imperial Guard lasgun, a broke knife (I think from the first box of space marines), and a weapon casing for a vehicle-mounted weapon. 

Things start to make less sense after that. There are two small cards which I think belong to Advanced Space Crusade, a game I am not sure if I ever owned, some broken bits of landing gear from a model that appears much too small to be at 28mm scale, and a small piece of paper, covered in tape, that I think says 'Gondor 1'. There is a counter for Silent Death, my favourite space fighter game

Slightly more interesting is a small card listing some comic books I was looking for back in the day. Remember when you actually had to physically write such things down and carry it with you just in case you stumbled across them in a store? Apparently I was after:

Avengers Spotlight 28 (love me some Hawkeye!)

Kitty Pryde and Wolverine 3 - 5 (I think I've still got those)

Wolverine: Limited Series 1 - 4 

Wolverine hologram card (during my Marvel card collecting phase, I guess).

Finally, there 8 'tickets' of the kind given out in arcades in the 80/90s. If I had to guess, I would say these come from a skeeball machine at Putt-putt. This is where me and my friend, Peter, my main opponent for Space Hulk, spent many a Saturday morning, and skeeball was my favourite game.

Okay, so it's not exactly 'treasure', but it all amuses me and reminds me of some happy times.

4 comments:

  1. Amusing indeed. Recently, a friend gave me his old "Warhammer Quest" boxes along with some expansions from the mind-90s. "They are complete", he told me. Upon inspection when I came home, far from it. Bits and pieces were missing, replaced by bits and pieces from other games. In a sense it's more interesting to open such boxes than it is to open a box that contains exactly what you expect it to contain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way to look at it.

      Delete
  2. A fun little collection of gaming detritus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever own the game 'Tyranid Attack'? Those cards look like they could belong from there.

    ReplyDelete