Tuesday 28 March 2023

Genestealers!

 
I am continuing to work on my first edition Space Hulk set and have painted five of the genestealers. I'm pretty sure these guys set the record for the longest time between buying and painting (I estimate 31 years). Truthfully, I'm astounded by how well these models hold up. They were loads of fun to paint and have some great detail. Okay, they only have one pose, but it's such an 'arms everywhere' kind of pose that it doesn't bother me as much as it would for some figures. Just turning the figure slightly gives it a very different look. The one pose aside, I honestly think these are better figures than the current ones that Games Workshop is selling - and the original designer deserves some big kudos! 

I didn't want to spend too long painting these, so I went for a relatively simple paint job. The main colour is Vallejo Middlestone. I then hit it with a black wash and reapplied the Middlestone. I added a bit of white to the Middlestone for the claws. The colourful bits are painted Vallejo Magenta. This gives some really nice contrast to the models, and I think makes them nice and 'buggy'. This is especially important as I plan on using them in other games such as Stargrave and Operation: Last Train as well.

So, truthfully, I only used 4 colours for these figures (not counting the two for the base).

Five down, 17 to go!


5 comments:

  1. The ones you have there all look the same, but I believe there were two subtly different bodies with different arms that could be swapped between them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I have are all identical, but there could have been others.

      Delete
  2. They really do hold up well, don't they!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! Keep plugging away at the pile of shame before it becomes a pile of dust!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're in the room, man!

    ReplyDelete