Tuesday 9 January 2018

No Complaints

It is the time of year when everyone asks if you have any resolutions. In the past, I have been more into writing a list of goals (which I invariably fail to achieve) than in setting resolutions, but decided I would start this year with one. I am resolved to stop complaining.

I don't know if I complain more than average, or if people consider me a complainer, but too often I hear myself letting out a little moan, and I've got three reasons it is time to stop.

1. I have nothing to complain about. Currently, I have a nice house, a healthy family, enough money that I don't have to worry about it day-to-day, professional success, etc. The more good that is in my life, the more any complaint I could make just sounds petty.

2. There is almost nothing as boring as listening to someone complain. To modify a famous phrase, 'Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought boring than to open your mouth and prove it.'

3. The older I get, the more convinced I am that we construct a large portion of our own reality with our thoughts and speech. Thus, the more I complain, the more real I make those complaints. Why would I want to do that? Better to talk about my great wife, great kids, great job, etc.

I am sure I will fail at this resolution from time to time. Perhaps I will fail every day, but, I think as long as I keep it in mind, I will at least complain less, and that will be victory enough.

4 comments:

  1. nothing wrong with venting every once in awhile but, agreed some folks take it way to far. And I am lucky to have a family that supports me and is for the most part doing well in their own right. So Hears to a new and hopefully better year then last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very good resolution positivity breeds more positivity and more success😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. A worthy resolution indeed, though I'm not so sure about no. 2 - people do enjoy reading a good rant, particularly if it aligns with their own views. Which then leads into no. 3...

    Indeed, the world is a much better place when the privileged recognise that privilege and look to those without.

    ReplyDelete