Wednesday 2 January 2019

Something Wicked This Way Comes…

Amongst my many little obsessions is pumpkin heads, especially evil pumpkin heads*. I don’t know where it comes from, or why it has stuck with me over the years, but it has.

A couple of years ago, either for a birthday or Christmas, my buddy Phil gave me a small pack of resin pumpkin heads, I think from Puppets of War (although I could be wrong about that). For whatever reason, these heads sat in my bits box for years.

The other day, I just felt really compelled to paint up a pumpkin head, so I quickly threw this guy together. Apart from the head, the rest of the bits come from the Frostgrave Cultists box. I gave him a skeletal arm as I thought I could paint it to look like sticks, which I think as worked pretty well.

In truth, I’m pretty pleased with him. In fact, I like him so much, I have decided that a full pumpkin-headed Frostgrave warband needs to be one of my little projects for the year. Of course, I’m going to need some special rules for that, so look for ‘Vegimancer’ rules coming later this year (possibly for Halloween).

* In truth the only ‘good’ pumpkin head I can think of is Jack Pumpkinhead from the OZ books…who is probably the most famous pumpkinhead of them all. The rest seem to be evil. 

6 comments:

  1. It was Anvil Industries. I think you got the original set - there’s a newer pack if you want more variety (not to mention a pumpkinhead character): http://anvilindustry.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=Pumpkin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rapier Minatures do some nice pumpkn men if you want some variation - http://www.rapierminiatures.co.uk/page/Range/28mm_Fantasy.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Privateer Press has Dreadrots in the Grymkin range. Pumpkin headed yokels with farming implements and bags of body parts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vegimancer, that sounds like a fun occupation.

    ReplyDelete