Wednesday 27 September 2023

Geek Dreams are Real Dreams


In 2019, I bought tickets to see The Fellowship of the Rings at the Royal Albert Hall with live musical accompaniment by the London Philharmonic Orchestra (who performed the original recordings for the movie). I can't tell you how excited I was for this. As a lifetime lover of the books and the films, this  seemed the pinnacle of my fandom!

And then covid stuck. The performance was rescheduled... and rescheduled again. It finally settled, some two years later, on the same day as my sister-in-law's wedding in Sweden. I gave the tickets away. The disappointment was crushing...

This past weekend, four years after I bought those original tickets, I made it to the Royal Albert Hall to see The Two Towers with my wife. The only tickets I could get were expensive box seats, but I wasn't going to miss it again!

I can honestly say, it lived up to my hopes and expectations. It was absolutely epic! The music, the singing, the giant screen. I had purposely avoided watching the movies for a few years, hoping the event would hit with more impact. The last march of the Ents. Gandalf and Eomer arriving at Helm's Deep. Sam's speech at the end. I got some chills! 

And yes, I've got tickets to see The Return of the King next year! 

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think there are still a few tickets for Return of the King.

      Delete
    2. I'm on the wrong side of the pond to take advantage of it sadly...

      Delete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Extended Editions in my local Odeon a few weeks ago, so I felt a modicum of what you felt, Joe!

    Was the version you saw the Extended Edition? I hope so! 😁

    ReplyDelete